[ARCHIVE] Modify firmware Cisco RV016 RV042 RV042G RV082

Here you might find archives of tutorials, open source softwares, discussions, etc...
Etre_Libre
Administrateur

Re: Modify firmware Cisco RV016 RV042 RV042G RV082

Message par Etre_Libre »

Somnuk : I don't know why gateway-to-gateway seems don't work, I am not Cisco support ;)
One thing is sure : I only changed what I said into that topic, nothing else.
Maybe you can try the official 4.2.3.03 to check if it's a bug of that new version or not ?

Artisto : In fact, their firmware is not 100% GPL, as I specified.
I don't know how to add another DDNS, but you can create a script that use Shell commands and Curl (a script that find on Internet your WAN IP, and if the IP changed so it update it with a HTTP request through Curl).
For now a have a script but it need to have a .php file online (with any hoster) so we can get the WAN IP.
Are you interested ?
Etre_Libre
Administrateur

Message par Etre_Libre »

Tutorial updated with latest firmware 4.2.3.07 and I provide a custom updated firmware with my own modifications.
CoDeRs

Message par CoDeRs »

Hi, this is awesome!! Thank You.

I have one question, with this custom firmware are we able to create vlan tagging on WAN ports in the xample of a RV082.

Thank You.
Regards
Cody.
Etre_Libre
Administrateur

[ARCHIVE] Re: Modify firmware Cisco RV016 RV042 RV042G RV082

Message par Etre_Libre »

Hi,

Sincerely I don't know if a RV082 is able to do that, but one thing I'm sure : I didn't added that feature, my knowledge of that router is low.

Also, since few months now I use a Synology Router : more features that I wish, and a real SSH access without any firmware modification.

I hope Synology will add "dual wan" feature, if I understood it will be available on a new firmware.
nebelfuerst

Re: [ARCHIVE] Modify firmware Cisco RV016 RV042 RV042G RV082

Message par nebelfuerst »

Is it possible to obtain the modified archive for you customized firmware ?

I am able to compile, but I fail to start telnet during bootup. Your firmware does work, but I want to add more modifications.
Etre_Libre
Administrateur

Message par Etre_Libre »

Hi,

It's already in the topic ;)

Here is a copy :
Download here a modded firmware based on 4.2.3.07 version (it's the latest release on january 2016)
That firmware contains Telnet and SSH enabled by default, and the root password is set to : cisco2016*
If you wish to create your own firmware or see in details all modifications I provide, so read below (at the end I indicated exactly all modifications of the home-made firmware).

Note : For a good security, I suggest to update this firmware with latest SSH component (dropbear) if you use it from the outside (WAN).
Personally I stopped to use Cisco RV042 router (or equivalent) because Cisco don't update his firmware often and that router lack of many features.
Now I'm using Synology RT1900ac routers (Dual WAN supported, SSH, Telnet, DNS Server, and there are often automatic updates).

Edit : I'm curious, I see Cisco released a new firmware RV0XX-v4.2.3.08-20161206-code.bin so you can ask them the GPL firmware and made our own modifications.
It's not very serious from Cisco because between firmware 4.2.3.07 and 4.2.3.08 : more than 1 year.
nebelfuerst

Hi,
as I have a bunch of rv042 V1 and V3, I'm motivated to customize them. If I would start from scratch, I would try to go for a completley open source solution, as I'm slightly dissapointed by the support of cisco. For the 4.2.3.08 I mailed cisco, as I cannot find the open source request magic number on their site.
As my selfmade binaries for the rv042V3 don't behave as expected ( something with the rc.local doesn't work, as my telnet is not alive on port 23), I'd be interested in the sourcecode you built that "modded firmware based on 4.2.3.07 version".
So if you could tar that sourcedirectory, I'd promise to download it ;-)
Etre_Libre
Administrateur

Message par Etre_Libre »

I understand your request, but I don't have the modded source code anymore, because I worked with a Virtual Machine with Fedora Core 6, and when my firmware was ok I deleted the VM.
The good news is that all my modifications are written into this tutorial, I used that to mod any new Cisco RV042 V3 firmware.

Furthermore, I think you are right about Cisco and Open source request, I don't find the request number for the latest firmware 4.2.3.08 :(
nebelfuerst

I'm using a VM, too.
I received a quick answer to my question about 4.2.3.08 sourcecode with a link to the tgz.
So I'll try my luck with my VM and your instructions the next days.
DOMin8or

Message par DOMin8or »

Hello.
It`s so great to find a modded firmware with telnet.
That could open the door for a free dyndns service.
As a user in year 2014 asked/reported in this forum, the service spdns.de would be great to implement.
its absolutely free, has no adds, and supports ipv4&ipv6.
the inbuild 3322.org & dyndns sucks, because it is very expensive.
i am not a real linux crack, but if i know what file is to edit, i want to do it.
because there is no more firmware update in the future, it must done once.
the best way, would be to modify the inbuild 3322.org service to spdns.de, with configuration over the gui.
i cant belive that no body has modified the ddns service. in my oppinion its the most important
thing. my unity media cable modems has got NO INBUILD DDNS service.
its absolutely important to do the update with my RV42G.
my qnap ddns service is horrible, and not free configurable, too.
and if the qnap do the update, it will take sometimes line 1 (120 mbit modem with ipv4, good)
and mostley my faster line 2 (400 mbit modem with ipv6 only, very bad. no connect from ip4 possible).
Its a shame by cisco, that we dont have the option for a free 250 char http update string as an update methode.
that could open ddns for all user to all services.
its all about money, money, money.
lets go and kick cisco`s ass :-)
thank you very much.
DOM
Verrouillé